Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Parker's Speech Therapy

Parker 22 months old

So last Friday, Parker’s speech therapist came to assess Parker. First off she bugged me right away. Our appointment was at 11:15. She came at 10:00. I was vacuuming and Parker had changed back into his spiderman pajamas. Not a real big deal so I brushed it off. Parker got to play with a lot of new toys and look at pictures. He did really well. He was able to name all the pictures correctly and he said his ABC’s. He counted to ten by himself! Something even I didn’t think that he could do without help. He was able to tell her his first and last name, how old he was, and how old he was going to be. During all of this I am assuming that she wants him to answer all these questions so that she can hear the different sounds he is making when he says certain words. Right....? At the end of the hour she said that he has an extraordinary vocabulary. She would place him at a five year olds level. And that he is extremely smart two year old. Wow that’s really awesome, I am thinking. She then goes on to say, to qualify for speech therapy he has to have gotten 62 of the 75 pictures wrong. He didn’t miss one of them. Okay I am thinking, so I say, well I know that he is really smart, and we would really like to continue to expand his mind, however we are having a hard time getting him to make the sounds of the words correctly. Well, she says he does say some words incorrectly and that is a concern, however since he was able to name all of the pictures correctly he would not qualify. Um....okay he can name them correctly that doesn’t mean he said the name right. We know what he is saying, it is the right word but he can’t say some of the sounds well, or he will leave some sounds out. Isn’t this the point of speech therapy. So she says that she will have the board members review his case and get back to me, but that she really thinks he will not qualify. What in the hell are you talking about speech lady you are hurting my head! I don’t understand what speech therapy really is then I guess.

2 comments:

Anderson said...

From what I learned about my second graders, it is normal for kids to get certain sounds wrong. Especially their r's, even up until they are in third grade. Who knows. Good luck with the crazy lady. And, sounds like you've got a smart kid on your hands.

Anonymous said...

I know I havent heard him talk before but at only 2 years old I wouldnt worry about it too much yet. It sounds like you might want to cherish his little imperfections at this age. He will grow so fast and most likely pick up those missing sounds on his own. But of course you know your own child better than anyone. Do what you think is best.~Jennifer